Sunday, March 5, 2017

Tetovo: Lunch with Peace Corps Volunteer

I celebrated Peace Corps Week 2017 by meeting with a Peace Corps Volunteer working in Tetovo.

I was eager to learn more about her work as a Community Development Volunteer in Tetovo - and hopeful that we might find a way to collaborate on a service learning project for students in my "Democracy and Civil Society" class.

She is working with the Women's Forum-Tetovo (Forumi i Gruas - Zenski Forum) - a women's organization dedicated to empowering women as equal decision makers in their communities.  It turns out that they also run a legal clinic for survivors of domestic violence.

When I conducted the needs assessment in our last seminar, some students mentioned domestic violence as an issue they wanted to see addressed.

We are going to organize a field trip to the Forumi i Gruas for my students. In fact, I plan to invite my law students as well as the political science students - as there may be internship opportunities for them, too.

Here is the facebook page:  Forumi Gruas facebook page

For more on Peace Corps Week 2017, see
https://www.peacecorps.gov/educators/resources/peace-corps-week-2017/

I am meeting with another Peace Corps Volunteer working in Tetovo next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment