Thursday, May 18, 2017

Struga: Senior Weekend and Prom - State Universty Tetovo - Hotel Drim

My law students at the State University Tetovo are graduating, and, as is the tradition, organized a prom at the Drim Hotel in Struga (a lovely resort town on the beach on Lake Ohrid).

I was honored that the President of the student body and my law students presented me with an invitation to the event.


As it turned out, not only were we attendees at the event, but we were honored guests, enjoying the delicious meal at the head table with the Rector and the leadership of the State University.

And, I was presented with a lovely gift. I will treasure this very special portrait of Mother Teresa, Saint Teresa of Calcutta.

(See this blog post about our earlier  visit to the Memorial House of Mother Teresa in Skopje )

And what was more was the valle dancing! Several rows deep, everyone holding hands and dancing in a circle. Everyone seemed to know the lyrics to every song and the dance steps to go along with the changing rhythms.  There were no breaks between songs - they all ran together. It took me a while, but I realized that the songs changed (and so, too, the steps). Everyone was out of their seats and on the dance floor.  I was grateful that all were patient as I tried to learn the steps. So. Much. Fun! 

I found this playlist of Valle folk dance songs on YouTube, which I am listening to as I type this.

The singer for the second half of the show was Aida Doci, a well known Albanian singer.  (Here is one of her music videos: Aida Doci music video)

Here is more about the event on the State University of Tetovo's facebook page: State University facebook post about the event

And here is the State University of Tetovo's website: http://www.unite.edu.mk/index.php

Thank you so much for the kind words and for the lovely gift. I will treasure this memento of a wonderful semester - and I look forward to future cooperation!

with the Rector Vullnet Ameti and his wife Maki, and the leadership of the State University


honored to be seated at the head table

the Rector with student leaders


with my student Rina
 

I loved valle dancing!
 

with my student Egzona









Aida Doci performs

with two rock stars - Donika and Aida!

my daughter's first prom!


with Rector Ameti and his wife Maki....thank you so much for this very special gift.

with the Rector
with Donika, the Student Body President
with my student Fisnik

No comments:

Post a Comment